Saturday, March 10, 2007


My brother just coached his Midland College basketball team to the 4th straight Regional Finals. Our whole family showed up in Belton, TX the other day to cheer on the Chaps of Midland. When I say family I mean 4 grandkids, 4 kids, 2 sister in laws, and 4 grand parents, (oh yeah and 1 ex-boyfriend). He's not really family, but he defintely adds to the strange chemistry.

The team was down by one point with 13 seconds left in the Regional Semis... the ball was shot with about 2 seconds left and missed... out of no where came this 6'3" Domincan Republic kid, Hotrod, who rebounded the ball in midair... as he came down with the ball which had popped off the back rim right into his hands... in midflight and seemingly coming from the rafters, Hotrod straight up dunked the ball over every player on the court... the ball went through the net while the play clock showed no time left... there were only a couple hundred people in the arena, but it was definitely March Madness at its best baby... finally the ref signaled... and the goal was legit. My Dad became jolly red, my mom was crying and legitimatly thanking God, my sisters boyfriend was trying to act as genuinely elated as we were, one the players Mom from Minnesota was sitting by herself and caught up in the moment, my other brother got in the hugging mood, and another man just wanted our midcourt seats for the next game.


There are a few things in life I cannot help but get caught up in... and this is definitely one of them.


No comments:

RSS Subscribe