Monday, November 19, 2007

Part One - When I think about this subject I can't help but laugh.

Before I go on I want to preface the term "We" as you and I. Not more "you than I" or "I than you".

I laugh b/c this is the way I deal with things that are ridiculous and when I finally come to realize this, I laugh. Some people get angry, cry, kiss their boyfriend, go into a hole, or drink... I laugh.

Be yourself. Our generation is inthralled with this line or the variations of it... Be authentic... Be real... Be who you are... We have countless reality shows about it and praise people who are supposedly transparent in the dumbest things. However, what does this term mean? It recently sounds like jibberish to me. I try to wrap my pea size brain around this term and I turn into a philisophical vegatable.

For instance, children are so honest, brutal but innocent. They can say someone is fat and their bases is in comparison to the average person they come across. Usually, for the most part, they would not say this unless the person was way above the average and in return were compelled to comment. Being yourself is akward and adolescent. So many times we confuse discretion with law. Meaning, I tell Cooper, my 6yr old son, to not say these things to people in fear of people opening up a can on our family.

Point being... lets stop throwing around this small slogan in such a superficial and shallow way. Like it is easy to do or something. Being yourself is by no means easy to pinpoint.

One time I was going to speak in front of a bunch of people and my preparation seemed more inadequate the closer time drew near for me to talk. All of the sudden, seemingly out of no where, some lady said, "Don't worry just be yourself ". At that moment in time, that was the worst advice. Seriously, be yourself? Being myself was a reminder of my inability to study and prepare enough to say anything worth hearing. I wanted to punch the lady and tie her up in the back... after I finished speaking some bull cr*p to a bunch of people and faking a cry, go back to her and say "Those people actually eat this up and you being yourself is falling for the same cr*p lady... and stop nodding in agreement... please, b/c we dont agree here."

Its not that easy. We are shallow as a country, as consumers, as politicians, as employees, and as humans. We fall for media driven slogans everyday and make life changing judgments off these dramatically trite interpretations of the truth. We almost take them as Law.

When I call someone out, there is usually a bit of bitter root.
When my child calls someone out, there is usually an innocent commonality.

We need to get back to the innocence produced by grace. The more forgiveness we accept the more beauty is revealed. When time becomes eternal and people become important enough to take that time to be truthful with. Where success is not measured in one stereotypical mistake, but in the value of neighbourly love. Maybe we ought to burn our fences or buildings. I want to believe it's that important.

Show me how to be myself.
or at least...

to be continued.

1 comment:

cody culberson said...

i laughed pretty hard at the "faked a cry" line.

RSS Subscribe